Insight for post-GA

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 19:56:16 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 1:00 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, referencing our meeting minutes here:
> http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-mktg/2010-04-22/fedora_insight.2010-04-22-18.01.txt
>
> Insight is not ready as of our go/no-go meeting this afternoon, and
> based on our self-imposed production schedule, we are going to target
> post-GA for this work.
>
> However, I am still concerned about an issue that's plagued us since
> we started, which is that as a group, it doesn't seem like we're
> developing our skills at *solving* problems on the Zikula platform.
>
> We've been extremely fortunate to have some wonderful people from the
> Zikula community who are spending time helping us fix problems when we
> run into them.  To what extent is that collaboration helping them?
> Are we going to approach a point where they are expending much more
> effort than what they're getting in return?  What does that mean for
> sustainability?
>
> These are hard questions.  I'm not proposing that we simply not work
> on Insight.  It's a worthwhile effort many people have said they want,
> and would increase the visibility and depth of content we could offer
> a lot of different types of users and the public at large, in a way
> our wiki can't.
>
> We also don't have to halt work on the remaining tickets by any means.
> Are there some alternatives we should pursue at the same time?

I think the big issue is how much can current people branch out into
different projects.

Currently we have a large front bench that knows python, and not a lot
of PHP. Trying to get people to learn PHP is a huge investment and
probably one of those things where its either a job-description or a
love. Its going to be one of those things that people who know
python/turbo-gears are going to keep seeing things that their inner
geek will say "You know we could probably do it better like this.."
which can lead to NIH or just be "I have no f*ing clue why you would
do it the way PHP does it"

Which means we need to find someone who loves PHP and see if we can
integrate them into the project further.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.