Insight for post-GA

Drak drak at zikula.org
Wed Apr 28 01:19:53 UTC 2010

> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 04:15:23PM -0400, David Nalley wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 3:00 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> One very important consideration going forward is, how many
> *self-service* resources exist for people to learn and grow skills on
> the platform?

All,

I'm the project lead of Zikula and I have been following this thread with
interest because for many months I have silently worried about these topics
and that the development and launch of Insight has, from my point of view,
taken much longer than it really needs, especially because, in reality,
Insight doesn't even demand anything particularly demanding from a Zikula
platform perspective that might require more in-depth customization.  Of
course, I am acutely aware of the problems we all face in open-source, in
that it's all effectively a hobby and people have to earn the bread and
butter so individual time is limited.  I can also understand all of your
concerns about 'leaning on the Zikula people too much' etc, but this has
given me exactly the right opportunity to speak.

Firstly, I am passionate about Zikula and I am lucky that I am able to work
full time on the Zikula project without distractions from a 'have to do real
job'.  From my own perspective, Fedora's adoption of Zikula is a very
positive thing for our project - one that is worth nurturing and caring for.
 Secondly, the Zikula project already has an active policy to care for
things directly related to and that benefit Zikula.  Not only do we care for
the development of the Zikula core, but we indeed develop and care for a
number of modules too, actively as a policy.   After the next Zikula dot
release, we will also move much more actively into documentation and
training to raise awareness.  I tell you all this because I want to so how
active the Zikula project is with related projects.  The pagemaster module
that is being used for Insight is also being officially developed by the
Zikula Foundation.

>From my perspective, it would make perfect sense for some of our people to
join the Fedora project on a more official basis with the objectives of, a)
bringing Insight to fruition, b) to be available for maintenance, and c)
training some of you in the ways of Zikula over time.  In doing this, you
also do not have to feel you are taking advantage of us because we would be
real Fedora volunteers passionate and interested in helping the Fedora
project.  I believe this will help Fedora in the long term and strategically
for us, it is a good investment of our time and resources.

I hope I have not said anything wrong or offended anyone - I am just trying
to find a practical solution with mutual benefit.

Regards,

Drak
Project leader for Zikula.