Etherpad FAD Update -- 90%

Colin Zwiebel colin at zonion.org
Thu Aug 19 00:04:48 UTC 2010

Okay folks,
So, I'm no longer in rural Canada cutting down trees, so I can do some FAD
planning. And we need it.

Schzamm. I basically just went through and got 90% of the planning done.
Cool, eh? Here is an update of (most) everything.

1. You won't recognize this: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad_FAD

2. This is new: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Etherpad_FAD

3. This email (read it)

== Meeting our Audience ==
This FAD has gotten pretty technical. This is fine, but I would still like
to accomidate new-comers. My solution, a couple "Educational Breaks," which I
plan to advertise heavily to Oliners. Each is about 1 hour long. I'll round
up "new-comers," drag hackers off their computers, and lead a guided Q&A
session with one or more of the "hackers." (See the schedule on the
wiki<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad_FAD#Schedule>
).

For the first, I plan to grab Sebastian or another Fedora dev (assuming we
have one) and talk about OSS development, the kernel, why all these
companies (Red Hat, IBM, Novell, etc) would want to build something they
give away. Tell people how to get involved. Let the "new-comers" guide.

For the second I plan to grab DJ or someone to talk about the technologies
behind EP. Maybe go over architecture. Ohh, how about a "best practices and
where EtherPad fails" discussion. Again, keeping it at a level where average
CS student can understand.

My hope is some "new-comers" will stay after each of these talks. You know,
learning via osmosis.

== Euro TeleHackathon ==
Just got an very exciting message from Joe Cornelli:

   Joe Corneli  Aug 17 11:19PM +0100 ^ <#12a8540faed40794_digest_top>

   Just to confirm, this matches my holiday schedule
   (actually Oct. 2nd THROUGH the 10th). Now I hope we
   can get redhog online down to the UK for a visit. ::)))

   I'm not sure what the EST-5 hour time difference will
   do to the crack-of-dawnathon part of the programme;
   anyone in East Asia on the list?

I'm going to have him set the schedule for the pre-FAD so we can do it
along-side the Euro folks.

Joe has some really grand visions for web notetaking with Etherpad
next-generation:
http://hyperreal-enterprises.posterous.com/?sort=&search=gravpad

== Event Facilities ==
Requested a room and got an email from Stephanie. Meeting status changed to
"scheduled." Yay! Pasted at the end of this message.

== Arrange Refreshments ==
Andy: you mind driving and picking up soda cups a few days before the event.
I'll request ice from Dining Service the week of the FAD. I can also borrow
my suites electric thermo-pot for tea.

== Social Event ==
Again, I think we're good, just need Mel to advise on feasibility. I was
planning on taking the crowd to Masala Art in Needham for lunch buffet.
We'll just grab a few attendees, give people the option to bike, and be done
with it.

I actually come up blank when trying to come up with other options. We could
enjoy Olin's surroundings (woods, Wellesley trail system, Needham).
''Maybe'' head into Boston (it would take us a good deal of time because of
Olin's location).

== List Resources ==
This event doesn't need many resources, luckily. We aren't using any
hardware toys. Attendees bring their computers and thats pretty much the end
of the story. Few things:
* Tables and Chairs: CC209 has them
* Projector: CC209 has one
* Digital Cameras: Attendees will bring
* Video Camera: Colin will borrow one from IT
* Fedora Infrastructure for EtherPad installation

== Remaining to be Done ==
* Start conversation with Fedora Infastructure about EP setup
    * How do we get EtherPad up and running for Fedora?
* Invite "heavy hitters"
    * Send to some Fedora lists
* Get the budget approved

Colin

== Appendix ==

=== Event Facilities ===
*Notes:
  * Can we get some really nice, open air rooms? Maybe.
      * MH might be available
      * Still, are the faculty rooms really that much better than CC?
      * Maybe too much time for one room.
      * How about up in the 4th floor of the AC?
          * Too far away for average Olin student
      * Just reserve the CC and if you want a different room, figure out
later
  * Reserved CC209

*Room reservation:

*Event Meeting Changed*
*Customer *    Olin College Students *Reservation *       20100817-010 Olin
Way Event Type :Student Group-Conference/Event Needham, MA 02492-1200
>From :10/8/2010
5:00 PM
  To :10/10/20109:00 AM  Event Status : ScheduledAccount Number :

MeetingsQuantity Unit CostTotal Cost*EtherPad Fedora Activity Day - Friday,
October 08th, 2010 5:00 PM to Sunday, October 10th, 2010 9:00 AM in CC, 209*
         Room Charge 1      0.00      0.00Notes : Room Setup Notes :

Room Teardown Notes :