Theme mockup push?

Jef van Schendel jefvanschendel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 10:48:34 UTC 2010

2010/12/3 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>

> Ah, never mind -- Peter reported he had a URL for Hiemanshu's mockup
> here:
>
> http://hiemanshu.fedorapeople.org/insight-mockup.png
>
> However, this doesn't seem to match entirely with the front page of
> fp.o, which was something we wanted for Insight:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org
>
> We ran into Jef in the channel yesterday and he agreed to try his hand
> at another draft to see if we can edge closer to that overall look and
> feel.  Thanks, Jef!  Please keep us updated on the list here if
> possible.

So, I started working on this (quick mockup here [1]) before realizing that
a high fidelity mockup is probably the last thing we need right know, and
I'm still unsure of some things.

Here's a question I wanted to ask the FI experts on this list:

How different will Fedora Insight be from the regular www.fpo pages? You
mentioned it should look similar to the Fedora homepage, but how similar is
it? I'm asking this because that should be reflected in the design and then
we can determine which parts of the styling we want to reuse.

Here's what I was thinking at first...

- It is an official Fedora website and should be recognizable as such.
- It is not an actual part of www.fpo, like the Features, Download or Join
pages, but it *is* part of the broader Fedora websites collection (like the
Planet and the wiki are).
- The concept is different from www.fpo: it isn't a static page but a stream
of information, it is not aimed at first-time visitors but at Fedora
contributors and interested community members.

In short: it's a Fedora website, but seperate from and with a different
purpose than the regular www.fpo pages. If that were true, a different
header or even background color (like Hiemanshu mentioned) might be useful.

Reading the wiki page again though, I wasn't sure anymore. It sounded more
like it *was* a part of www.fpo and also for people who aren't (yet)
contributors. In that case I would apply almost the same style as on
www.fpo, maybe with a few small changes.

Sorry for the slightly wordy mail, I just wanted to make sure I get this
right before I continue. :)

Jef

[1] http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/insight/insightMockup2.png