Theme mockup push?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 18:57:29 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 05:38:18PM +0100, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> 2010/12/6 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
>
> > The purpose of Insight (initially) is to filter/highlight news,
> > marketing materials, and information being produced by the Fedora
> > community that's useful for a wider audience.  In its first phase,
> > Insight will provide space for the Fedora Weekly News (with RSS feed),
> > and the ability to editorially mark and republish Fedora Planet posts
> > (with the author's permission).  In the future we'd like to expand it
> > to host podcasts and other content.
> >
> > The intended audience for Insight is people who are interested
> > primarily in current events and news, as opposed to just general
> > information about Fedora.  We want to use this site to provide
> > numerous RSS feeds of information that would be useful to tech writers
> > and journalists, as well as anyone who wanted to see a "greatest hits"
> > list of what's going on.
> >

> Thanks for the reply, Paul!
>

> So, everyone, here's what I've got right now:
>
> http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/insight/insightMockup960.png
>
> (As always, sources are available in the same folder, if someone wants to
> give them a spin!)
>
> Thoughts:
>
> - I simply used the regular footer. The idea is to have it on all of the
> Fedora websites to tie them together a bit.
> - I incorporated a Fedora bubble instead of a regular rounded corner. I
> thought it'd be a nice touch for Insight, since it's based on a speech
> bubble after all (among other things). It makes the page a bit less static
> (which, I assume, is also why Hiemanshu put it there in the first place).
> - The background is now a light blue (I admit I pulled the color out of thin
> air for now). It's not necessary, but I wanted something that could cover
> the entire width (just like the headers on www.fpo). It also serves to
> differentiate Fedora Insight from the rest of the websites.
> - The body text, headers and links will have the same colors, sizes and
> decoration as the ones on www.fpo. (Maybe we can even pull them from the
> same CSS file?)
> - I still have to work on the "Insight" header and menu items, they're
> pretty much placeholders right now.
> - I removed the borders on the left and right, because I feel it's a bit of
> a heavy-handed and unnecessary way to pull the content together. They're
> also not used on any of the other websites.
>
> The idea here is that different pages on FI will look like they belong to
> Insight because of the altered header and background color, but all of them
> are still recognizable as part of Fedora.
>
> What do you all think?

I really like where you're going with this.

> * Selected Planet posts -- basically what you have there, only it's
> >  not just the latest, but rather the latest *selected* stuff.
> >
> > * A summary of and link to the latest Fedora Weekly News (and a way to
> >  find older issues)
> >
> > * A widget to download the latest Fedora
> >
> > * Link to the Marketing team page for people who want to get involved
> >  in maintaining Insight, or maybe a general get involved link
> >

> Great, these are the things I'll put in next. *scribbles on post-it*
>
> Anyone have any ideas on how the content should be divided? If I keep two
> columns like this, what do each of them contain?

I also forgot to mention that an unauthenticated user will see
username and password input boxes.  Fedora contributors can use a FAS
account name+passwd to login there, although it isn't required to read
the content.  It is required to make comments or enter other content,
so we can be assured of licensing.

I was thinking that the left side is perfect for one or more feature
stories, and the summary of the latest FWN.  The right, slightly
smaller, would be for a feed of 3 latest promoted Planet stories, a
link to download Fedora, and other widgets (such as a podcast later
on).

Do you have any ideas on the best way to use the menu at top?  One of
the things I was thinking about is how to get press people directly to
a specific cache of stuff that they could download and read, like our
one-page marketing handouts and things like that.  I don't know if we
really have enough specialized audiences like that to order the top
menu by type of reader, as opposed to just classifying the content.