Theme mockup push?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 18:08:26 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 05:42:26PM +0100, Jef van Schendel wrote:
> .2010/12/6 Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com>
>

> > I also forgot to mention that an unauthenticated user will see
> > username and password input boxes.  Fedora contributors can use a FAS
> > account name+passwd to login there, although it isn't required to read
> > the content.  It is required to make comments or enter other content,
> > so we can be assured of licensing.
> >
> > I was thinking that the left side is perfect for one or more feature
> > stories, and the summary of the latest FWN.  The right, slightly
> > smaller, would be for a feed of 3 latest promoted Planet stories, a
> > link to download Fedora, and other widgets (such as a podcast later
> > on).
> >
> > Do you have any ideas on the best way to use the menu at top?  One of
> > the things I was thinking about is how to get press people directly to
> > a specific cache of stuff that they could download and read, like our
> > one-page marketing handouts and things like that.  I don't know if we
> > really have enough specialized audiences like that to order the top
> > menu by type of reader, as opposed to just classifying the content.
> >

> Just a quick status update:
>
> http://schendje.fedorapeople.org/insight/insightMockup960_12.png
>
> So far I've stuck with the colors and text sizes that are used on www.fpo
> but with a few added details. I'm trying to take notes from newspapers and
> implement those in the design. Though I'm not sure if all of this is even
> possible, Drupal-wise.
>
> In this mockup I used Paul's suggestion for the layout, but I'm willing to
> try out anything.

Maybe a gradient in the blue band header to make it subtly less bland?
I think the blandness is partly why you say "ugly" below -- not
intended as a criticism, just agreeing that there may be ways to
spruce it up!

> The header is still very ugly, and I'm not sure what to do with it. How
> often is the login needed? Would it be better to put it in the header, or
> beneath it, in the body? If it wasn't needed for comments even the footer
> would be an option, but I guess that's not the case here.

Maybe on the right side, above the RSS content, would be a good place
for the login block.  There are also some common links for things like
"Preferences," "Logout," and so forth that might do well to live in
that area too, as a vertical list -- but please don't let me dictate
design to the designer. :-) I should have explicitly mentioned those
earlier.

> The current headers on www.fpo are designed to hold the page title and a
> line of text, and if possible I'd like to keep this one the same height. So
> if we put the "Insight" title (or whatever it's going to say) there, there's
> still a nice spot for a few menu items. Maybe something like the ones
> spins.fpo has on the top right?

I don't dislike the blue band header overall.  Maybe the menu items
could be right-justified close to the left side of the bubble outline
in that band?