get tracking for the release?

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 12:42:40 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> Should we start doing click tracking for the release to see where our
> users are coming from?
>
> For example, in the email announcement that goes out we could have:
>
> http://get.fedoraproject.org/?ma
>
> Or for the press release that goes out we could have:
>
> http://get.fedoraproject.org/?pr
>
> Low cost change that we could track even for the alpha.
>
> Thoughts?

I like it.  We should also use this method in our release notes and
wiki pages, including where we direct people to other media sites like
spins.fp.o. If we know that, for instance, more people who read the
email announcements go to a spin site, and more people who read a
press release go to the main download site, we can actually craft our
output to cater more to the folks who read and use it.

To do this effectively, the first thing to do is probably to come up
with a list of places we want to use a track code.  Some ideas:

* Email announcements
* Front page of fp.o
* Front page of wiki
* The press release Red Hat makes
* redhat.com/fedora
* Alpha release notes on wiki
* Official release notes
* Offiical installation guide
* One-page release notes

I'm probably missing a bunch of other locations here, please add to it!

We also will want to bring the Marketing and Docs folks into this so
we can have a consistent approach.

Paul