Fedora Insight weekly Meeting

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:23:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 07:57:52PM +0545, Drak wrote:
>    On 21 May 2010 19:51, Paul W. Frields <[1]stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 09:36:11AM +0545, Drak wrote:
>      >    Off-topic maybe: What is the policy to using vendor fixes that have
>      not
>      >    yet been released?
>      >    Drak
>
>      Good question, Drak.  I think it's acceptable for us to include
>      patches in a RPM that are backported fixes expected to be in the next
>      upstream release.  This happens frequently in the kernel, for example,
>      especially where Fedora contributors are providing said patches.  The
>      goal is always to reduce those fixes/patches to zero, or as close to
>      zero as possible.
>
>    What is the procedure for letting you guys know the packaging
>    requirements?  Is there something we can add to our continuous integration
>    process?  We could build it automatically...
>    Drak

Hi Drak,

What packaging requirements are you referring to?  I'm not sure I'm
clear on what you're asking.

Normally the maintainers of a Fedora package keep tabs on upstream
releases, and when there's a new one, or if there's a good reason to
patch and rebuild, the maintainer would do that in Fedora.  One of our
distro requirements is to be fully self-hosting, so builds need to
happen in the Fedora build system.  However, any upstream developer
with a FAS account should be able to anonymously check out our package
source tree, trivially fiddle with the spec file to use new sources,
and send a "scratch build" request to our system.  (A scratch build is
basically a test build that will not be published for general use, but
is good for temporary testing use.)

Does this help clarify at all?