Drupal provides addition?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 17:13:54 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 08:36:12AM -0600, Jon Ciesla wrote:
> Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > IIRC, the suggestion that Toshio had wisely made, to resolve the core
> > package naming and module package naming issue, was that the drupal
> > package in Fedora (which is named 'drupal' and is version 6.x) include
> > a virtual Provides:
> >
> > Provides:  drupal6 = %{version}-%{release}
> >
> > Jon Ciesla, could you add this and roll it into a package update in
> > Fedora?  I'm sure any number of us could test it for you since it's
> > not even a functional change, getting it into stable quickly.
> >
> > Then people who are packaging D6 modules could simply add this to
> > their spec files:
> >
> > Requires: drupal6 >= 6.0
> >
> > And the same spec files will work continuously throughout Fedora and
> > EPEL.  (Toshio can correct me if I got his suggestion wrong, in which
> > case I apologize yet again for being dense about this.)
> >

> Would this then obviate the need for the renaming of the whole stack, or
> complement it?

I think the idea was supplemental in that earlier Fedora releases were not
going to rename but they would have the virtual provide so that addons could
Require: drupal6 and that would pull in the drupal package when appropriate.

however, the idea of renaming to drupal6 on later Fedora releases wasn't
something I raised in particular so I think that decision is up to you :-)

(IIRC, the argument for renaming was that it would be less work to maintain
a drupal6 package in sync across Fedora and RHEL releases and in parallel
with drupal(5) and eventual drupal7 releases.)

-Toshio