Drupal Versioning in EPEL

Sven Lankes sven at lank.es
Fri Oct 15 16:44:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 09:15:50AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

> Just from reading this thread and not looking at the code, it also sounds
> like the plugins are written for a particular major version of drupal ie:
> drupal-foo-6.x.1.0 will only run on drupal6, not on drupal 5 or drupal 7.
> If that's the case, the drupal version information belongs in the name field
> whether or not you get FPC to change whether it's allowed in the version
> field as well.  Otherwise, you have two issues:
> 1) End user installs drupal-foo-6.x.1.0 because they want to enable the foo
> functionality in their drupal-5.x install.  They are confused why it doesn't
> work.
> 2) You end up with name clashes where you wnat to package both drupal-foo
> for drupal-6 and drupal-5.  You can't have both packages occupy the same
> name.

Right - this versioning scheme doesn't work with multiple parallel
drupal versions. So _if_ we're going drupal6, drupal7 in fedora the
modules need the major version in the name.

> All in all, I agree with Eric's original assessment of "drupal6-flexifilter
> and the version to 1.2" as a very sane choice.

Not if the main package is called "drupal" (IMO). Because then we'd be
again at 'needing new review on update' which you're warning about
below.

So for the case of the current fedora drupal setup (with one package
called drupal and that shipping the current version) "drupal-cck-1.2"
would be the right thing to name that package (which means that we'd
need to epoch the old version out for the existing modules).

> Traditionally in Fedora the latest package in a series has the package name
> unadorned with the version number and backwards compat packages have the
> version number added to the name.  One advantage of that is that you don't
> need a nw review whenever you want to update to a new version.

[rereviews and support periods]

I'm starting to think that it's probably best to leave things as they
are. Fedora has "drupal", EL gets drupal6.

If leaving drupal6 out of EL-5 completely is an option I'd be happy to
create a 'backport' repository with the drupal 6 packages on
repos.fedorapeople.org. If fedora insight would need to be deployed on
RHEL5 then we could put the backports into the infrastructure repo.

sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net