EtherPad FAD Thanks

Colin Zwiebel colin at zonion.org
Mon Oct 18 00:23:35 UTC 2010

Hey all,
Thanks again for such an awesome FAD! I think we got a lot of stuff done and
I had a great time hearing new views on software, communities, math, logos,
etc and hope you all had an equally great time teaching and hacking.

Few things to update, first Jeff's Talk. Fantastic and available
as pdf<http://zonion.org/docs/olin/fad/Jeff_Mitchell_FAD-Etherpad-Communities-2010.pdf>
as odp<http://zonion.org/docs/olin/fad/Jeff_Mitchell_FAD-Etherpad-Communities-2010.odp>
Haven't spoken with Jeff. He sent them with me to share with y'all, so I
suspect he'll finalize the slides and share the talk more widely.

Second, I want your blogs. I wrote two posts, and linked them from the wiki.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad_FAD#Blogging
Those links are feeling lonely, so check them out and add your own.
Would also love to get pictures.

Speaking of the wiki it current lists things like:

>  see the full list on the talk page<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Etherpad_FAD#By_the_numbers>
>
>    - Non-free-software libraries changed to free alternatives: 1 (thanks
>    Sam)
>    - New packages created: 7+ (TODO)
>    - Dependencies tracked down: 17+ (TODO)
>    - Lines of code to make C3P0 lib build with Java 1.6: tons (TODO)
>    (thanks Crawf)
>    - Licences inspected: plenty (TODO) some of many<http://blog.zonion.org/etherpad-post-fad-that-was-sooo-last-week#license_inspection> (thanks
>    Spot, Jon, DJ, SDZ)
>
> I would like to fill in these metrics (how big is the patch, Crawf?)
If you have other cool metrics (Spots calculated fail-meter for Etherpad
Project?) that would be sweet!

Otherwise, the progress moving forward. Packaging of etherpad upstream
itself isn't complete. First we need c3p0. Crawf worked some magic and
brought that lib up to steam with Java 1.6 ... and then we discovered it has
Ant build problems.
Crawf, where is the patch you created?
DJ/Sam probably are best equipped to figure out why it doesn't build.
After that, final packaging can commence
(links<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad#Packaging_Etherpad>)
and someone else will have to yell at me about the proper procedure for
being accepted into repos, and the images I must burn in effigy to move to
EEPL.

But enough, link me your blog posts and pics, and packaging will happen in
due time.
Thanks again, this was really fantastic. I hope a few of you are having fun
at CPOSC, I believe Jon is there.

Cheers,
Colin