Why Aggregator?

Pascal Calarco pcalarco at nd.edu
Mon Oct 18 12:57:29 UTC 2010

From: logistics-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org [logistics-bounces at lists.fedoraproject.org] On Behalf Of Peter Borsa [peter.borsa at gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 8:42 AM
To: logistics at lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject: Re: Why Aggregator?

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 11:20:35PM +0200, Peter Borsa wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Why do you use Aggregator(core module) instead of Feeds?
>> Feed is more powerful imho. Managing News, which is an aggregator
>> engine, uses this module.
>>
>> Managing News: http://managingnews.com
>> Feeds: http://drupal.org/project/feeds
>
> Feeds does look more powerful.  Can you describe how we would use that
> to achieve some of the goals in our project plan?
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Insight_project_plan
>
> --
> Paul W. Frields                                http://paul.frields.org/
>  gpg fingerprint: 3DA6 A0AC 6D58 FEC4 0233  5906 ACDB C937 BD11 3717
>  http://redhat.com/   -  -  -  -   http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/
>          Where open source multiplies: http://opensource.com

Hi!

Well, Feeds replaces the aggregator module of core, absolutely. Imho
the Feeds projects page on drupal.org speaks for itself.
http://drupal.org/project/feeds
http://drupal.org/node/622696

This is not more than an aggregator module. The aggregator module of
core has very limited ability.
--
Peter Borsa

Hi Peter --

What Paul is getting at is does Feeds enable functionality easier from the deliverables and requirements we've documented so far at:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Insight_project_plan#Deliverables

I looked a bit at ManagingNews.  I am not sure how much added value there would be for other content, but it seems ManagingNews has a built in way of aggregating articles into channels.  Depending on how we look at all of the syndicated content we might bring into Fedora Insight, this might be a powerful way of managing these and reducing custom themeing, Views and such.  Have you ever used ManagingNews, Peter?  Do you have any example sites you can share that demonstrate the utility of these modules?  Thanks!

  - pascal