Drupal Versioning in EPEL

Sven Lankes sven at lank.es
Mon Oct 18 12:58:25 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 08:17:04AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:

>> Fedora Infrastructure has a need for drupal6. The new insight project
>> will be using drupal6 and the app servers are currently (and will be
>> for a while) running EL5.

> Yup, we do want Drupal 6 available on EL-5 for sure.

As far as I understand it is not mandatory for packages that are to be
used in the fedora infrastructure to be available in EPEL - it would be
sufficient to have them in the infrastructure repo.

As I said - I would be happy to keep a repos.fedorapeople.org repository
updated with a working drupal6 for el5 - the srpms could then be used as
the base of the infrastructure packages.

> About the version naming, sorry for the kerfuffle.  I see no problem
> with having module NVR like:
> drupal6-flexifilter-1.2-1
> As a bunch of us discussed in another thread, different major releases
> of Drupal (for instance) are extremely different frameworks, and it's
> not at all unusual for people to want to run multiples.  Given these
> are very high level frameworks (as opposed to running different
> versions of e.g. Python), we should be able to support both in Fedora.
> This is particularly true since we want to continue to make Fedora
> hospitable for people doing development work for production systems
> running these different Drupal frameworks.
> I'd think that whether you're using Fedora or an enterprise system
> using EPEL-5/EPEL-6 add-ons, having 'yum install drupal6' do the same
> thing on both platforms would be less confusing.  I think that Jon
> Ciesla was looking at doing this changeover in Rawhide/F-15 so that in
> the future we'll have 'drupal6' and 'drupal7' packages there.

As Toshio noted this would require a re-review of all packages for each
new drupal release (core and all modules). If I understand correctly
drupal is planning more frequent releases in the future.

I'm not totally opposed to going that route (and after all it's Jons
call as the drupal maintainer) but we should at least be aware that we're
creating quite a bit of extra work for the package maintainers and also
would also be diverging from the way compat packages are usually handled
in fedora.

sven === jabber/xmpp: sven at lankes.net