Drupal Versioning in EPEL

Jon Ciesla limb at jcomserv.net
Mon Oct 18 13:47:55 UTC 2010

Sven Lankes wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 08:17:04AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>

>>> Fedora Infrastructure has a need for drupal6. The new insight project
>>> will be using drupal6 and the app servers are currently (and will be
>>> for a while) running EL5.
>>>

>> Yup, we do want Drupal 6 available on EL-5 for sure.
>>

> As far as I understand it is not mandatory for packages that are to be
> used in the fedora infrastructure to be available in EPEL - it would be
> sufficient to have them in the infrastructure repo.
>
> As I said - I would be happy to keep a repos.fedorapeople.org repository
> updated with a working drupal6 for el5 - the srpms could then be used as
> the base of the infrastructure packages.
>

>> About the version naming, sorry for the kerfuffle.  I see no problem
>> with having module NVR like:
>> drupal6-flexifilter-1.2-1
>> As a bunch of us discussed in another thread, different major releases
>> of Drupal (for instance) are extremely different frameworks, and it's
>> not at all unusual for people to want to run multiples.  Given these
>> are very high level frameworks (as opposed to running different
>> versions of e.g. Python), we should be able to support both in Fedora.
>> This is particularly true since we want to continue to make Fedora
>> hospitable for people doing development work for production systems
>> running these different Drupal frameworks.
>> I'd think that whether you're using Fedora or an enterprise system
>> using EPEL-5/EPEL-6 add-ons, having 'yum install drupal6' do the same
>> thing on both platforms would be less confusing.  I think that Jon
>> Ciesla was looking at doing this changeover in Rawhide/F-15 so that in
>> the future we'll have 'drupal6' and 'drupal7' packages there.
>>

> As Toshio noted this would require a re-review of all packages for each
> new drupal release (core and all modules). If I understand correctly
> drupal is planning more frequent releases in the future.
>
> I'm not totally opposed to going that route (and after all it's Jons
> call as the drupal maintainer) but we should at least be aware that we're
> creating quite a bit of extra work for the package maintainers and also
> would also be diverging from the way compat packages are usually handled
> in fedora.

Drupal6 is in EL-5.  It needs to be.  That ship has sailed, no need for
a repos.fp.o version.  It's so new that it's basically another
application.  I'm planning doing the same with gallery2 and gallery3,
once I wake up from the bundled libs nightmare of gallery3.

And it's now basically decided that I need to take the X out of the EVR
for all modules, and transtion drupal* to drupal6* in rawhide, and to
drupal5* in EL-5?  If this is correct, I'll get on it this week.

-J

--
in your fear, seek only peace
in your fear, seek only love