Etherpad FAD preparation

Colin Zwiebel colin at zonion.org
Sun Sep 26 19:18:55 UTC 2010

Okay, non-rooming info.

Just had a good meeting with Andy, Kevin, and got Mel on the cam. We had a
lot of discussion, here are the brilliant insights of our toils:

* We need to have social activities, adding OWW to Friday, and some other
event Sunday (free form?)
* Would also be good to

== What people will do ==
As requested in the earlier Mel-message. I drafted out details for a sheet
that gets everyone on the same page and informs what they should do and who
to get in touch with. It isn't complete but that is okay because the purpose
of the pre-FAD is to fill these details in:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad_FAD#Resources

Big things missing:
* Detailed work breakdown
* How to get started hacking

Tentative thoughts:
* (Beginner task) Have new people go through GitHub and Google Code tickets,
check current state, triage

== Getting People Up to Speed ==
We've been planning on an intro to OSS and techs involved in this hackathon.
Kevin Mehall has graciously agreed. This will cover:

   - what's open source
   - what's Linux/Fedora
   - what's packaging
   - what's version control (here's how you use the one we're using over the
   weekend - which is to say, git)
      - Using SVN (as a started)
      - How to use SVN mastery to learn Git
    - what's the software development lifecycle (release cycles, the role of
   QA, etc)
      - What are patches and diffs and how do I use them
      - How do changes get pulled into Open Source projects
      - What is this forking business

We're also considering having Sebastian give a 7-min talk he gave a week
earlier at Olin.

== HelpDesk / Point Person ==
At any time we will have a point-person for outside contact and "help, I
don't know what to do" requests. Mel offered to do a training. Colin, Andy,
and Kevin(?) were interested in hearing what Mel has to say.

MEL ATTENTION NEEDED
Mel, can you send out a WhenIsGood or similar for times that make you happy.
We will assume them to be in Eastern time.

YOUR ATTENTION NEEDED
And we need people to act as helpdesk. This may be a good position for
technical people not versed in the exact EP technolgoies (IE me, never
hacked in scala in my life)
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad_FAD#Help_Desk_Hours

== Pre-FAD ==
Already mentioned, but specific task creation will happen during Pre-FAD as
we will our European (UK) co-hackers there to consult. If you are technical
and can help outline, would love to have your help.
prefad<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Etherpad_FAD#Pre-FAD_.28very_optional.29>
on
Oct 2nd (  check local
time<http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=10&day=2&year=2010&hour=15&min=0&sec=0&p1=43>
 )

== Logistics ==
Not any assignments on the logistics front (feel free to volunteer). I'm
just going to list everything I can think of so we don't miss any task:
    * Pickup guests
    * Get admissions room keys
    * Clean admissions sheets
    * Food
        * Choose stir-fry supplies
        * Buy stir-fry supplies
        * Choose drink/snacks
        * Buy drinks/snacks
    * Find dedicated computers for video chat / testing
    * Lug and setup dedicated computers
    * Find many power strips for the hacking
    * Flyer the entirety of Olin
    * Talk up the event to friends

== Grouping of EP components ==
Andy would love to have an EtherPad library/framework/API/app to help people
make 1) other collaborative tools and 2) turn anything web-text into instant
collaboration. This is idealistic, but we think there a couple of modules of
Etherpad that could/should be separated:

[module 1] Core
* Comparison (operational transformation?)
* Document history (and timeslider)
* Pad identification (by URL, or other)
* Database and storage
[module 2] Web stuff
* Interface
    * Pro functionality (login, password protection)
* Chat

IDEA
== Pairing ==
Andy has the great idea of pairing people off. Probably inexperienced with
experienced. Will help people learn and have something to do at all times.
I'm planning on doing this during / right after introductions.

Colin