Insight features module for phase 2

Paul Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 05:03:17 UTC 2011

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:03 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 09:50:59AM +0200, Peter Borsa wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Yesterday, I created a module with Features(1,2). It is called Basic
>> Insight Features, you can download with git.(3)
>> Features is a great tool because you can create complex module(s)
>> easily. If we can use this somehow, it would be good.
>>
>> I created 2 drupal sites yesterday to test this feature, how it works
>> etc-etc. I succesfully enabled BIF module on the second site and just
>> downloaded its dependencies. At the end I got a fully configured
>> Insight clone. So, it makes the process of building of the test
>> enviroment much more simple and the stg instance -> prod. instance
>> process too.
>>
>> Well, as I mentioned it before, it is working well but there is a bug
>> like primary links item's sequence is not correct. I am investigating
>> this. In the end, I am creating a review request due to features
>> module.
>>

>> (1) http://drupal.org/project/features
>> (2) http://mustardseedmedia.com/podcast/episode43
>> (3) http://fedorapeople.org/gitweb?p=asrob/public_git/basic-insight-features.git;a=summary
>
> This looks like a fascinating module.
>
> * Does it capture permissions changes for roles, that relate to new
>  modules?
>
> * Does it capture settings made in the administrative control panels
>  for a module?  Say, for instance, I add the "authfas" module, which
>  has settings for (1) the URL for the FAS system, (2) the group
>  membership to map to "authenticated users", and (3) the FAS group
>  <--> Drupal RID mappings.  Will it capture these?
>
> What would be really helpful is if you could draft up a standard
> operating procedure (SOP) proposal, that shows everyone how we can
> collaborate effectively using the Features module.  Start by assuming
> we'll use a git repository to manage changes, and describe how one
> would clone the repo, make changes, commit and push the changes, and
> manage their deployment to the staging and production sites.
>
> Depending on the capabilities, I think this would be a tremendous help
> for managing our site development.  Thanks for finding it and telling
> us about it!

One other question I have is how this will work with RPM packaged
modules. From what I've been reading developers use Features to
actually manage the modules they install on the server (as well as
customizations they do to the module code). We on the other hand are
using RPM packages in accordance with the infrastructure SOPs for
Fedora Infra. What's the delta that we would manage with Features?

I could be totally missing something obvious here, just let me know.

--
Paul