Insight meeting reminder -- 2010-02-03 UTC 1900

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 14:16:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 06:37:05PM +0100, Andrea Veri wrote:

> Il giorno 03/feb/2011, alle ore 15.38, Paul W. Frields ha scritto:

> >> I would like to add another point to the discussion, which is the
> >> deployment of a calendar system linked to drupal where all Fedora
> >> system will be able to post their meeting's time and date. (like The Fridge
> >> in Ubuntu [1])
> >>
> >> Peter pointed me to a great module for doing this, which is available at [2].
> >>
> >> Any suggestion or idea will be welcome about this!
> >
> > I wouldn't mind seeing this in the *next* phase of Insight. At this
> > time we shouldn't be adding requirements to what we're doing, though.
> > Let's concentrate on getting this phase done.  You can add this to the
> > project plan under phase 2 for consideration:
> >

> Don't see it as a requirement, but such thing is definitely needed
> into Fedora.  We currently miss a calendar and all teams do have to
> organize themselves using other software outside the project. (this
> is causing problems in the other teams I've been contributing)

I agree it's needed.  This is the *definition* of a requirement,
though. :-)

> Anyway it is up to you to have the last word, so I'll just /hide and wait.
>
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Insight_project_plan
>
> Item added.

Thanks Andrea.  I would like to see us offering more useful service
through this Drupal CMS to the project as a whole.  A project-wide
calendar would be a very helpful addition.  However, there was at
least one recent calendar system recently put into testing already --
Zarafa, stood up by the Infrastructure team.  Therefore we shouldn't
be independently adding this (or other functions) to Insight without
consulting with other people who might have worked, or be working, on
such a system.

Beyond all that, until we get to a production state with the functions
we've already planned, I'm not in favor of extending ourselves even
further.  Adding a calendar to Drupal is a fairly simple operation.
Configuring it to a set of project requirements so it can be used by
everyone is less simple, but still manageable.  Installation and
configuration, though, are the smaller part of our responsibilities.
This system by definition isn't a "set and forget" operation.  We are
all going to be responsible for its maintenance for the foreseeable
future.  So it behooves us to be thoughtful about what we take on.