FUDCon website

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 12:05:55 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:54:13AM +0530, tuxdna wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Thank you for your concern and thoughts on the FUDCon website.
>
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 12:28 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
> > I've BCC'ed a number of folks who I think should be involved in this
> > discussion to this post. If you aren't already, please subscribe to the
> > logistics list (this seemed the best place to me to coordinate these
> > efforts) to reply. My appologies if you aren't interested in this
> > dicsussion. ;)
> >
> > ok. It seems to me we have several groups working in this area, and it
> > might be a good idea to coordinate.
> >
> > Groups:
> >
> > Fudcon Milan 2011 folks
> > Fudcon India 2011 folks
> > Event system summer of code folks
> > Insight folks
> > Fedora Websites team
> >
> > Problem/Goals:
> >
> > Several groups have requested setting up a
> > http://fudcon.fedoraproject.org/ site for fudcons. Currently all
> > information and registration is handled in the wiki, but this is
> > sometimes daunting to some people to sign up on, and doesn't look as
> > professional as perhaps we would like to point media and such to.
>
> Quite precisely stated. Its better to show a website to media and sponsors.
> A wiki is not so impressive.
>
> > Short term:
> >
> > I'd like to propose as a short term goal, we setup the above virtual
> > host, create a landing/front page that explains what fudcons are and
> > such, and then create subpages for upcoming fudcons with general info
> > and other static content. I think we could do this in the existing
> > websites team along with interested folks joining the websites team to
> > work on their pages. This would all be static content.
> >
> > http://fudcon.fedoraproject.org -> nice page that explains fudcons.
> > http://fudcon.fedoraproject.org/milan-2011/ -> nice looking page for
> > that fudcon
> > http://fudcon.fedoraproject.org/pune-2011/ -> nice page for this fudcon
> > etc.
>
> That's that way even I think it should be. Static pages to be made live
> immediately, while we configure a a dynamic website for FUDCon
> and make it live when its done.
>
> > Longer term:
> >
> > Depending on the status of the events functions in insight, we might
> > want to just leave things as above until thats ready. If it is going to
> > take a while to get that in a usable state, we might look at adding
> > some dynamic functions to the above sites (registration?). I don't know
> > the status of this or if it will be place in time for the upcoming
> > fudcons.
>
> I think COD [1] is the way to go as I have described in my earlier mail [2].
> COD is Drupal based and so is Insight [3]. It makes sense to me.

>From what I understand. Hiemanshu Sharma is working on a Fedora events
system, and he has been in contact with the COD developers.  Although
I believe he's working with that upstream, I haven't seen any updates
recently.  Hiemanshu, if you're out there and can fill us in, it would
be much appreciated.

My bet is that data in a site set up with COD ought to be
transferrable to whatever Hiemanshu is working on, assuming he's
working on COD as well.  But again, it's going to take some
communication and coordination among the people putting those sites
together.