FUDCon website

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 18:22:25 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> One potential sticking point is, of course, the long-term availability
> of people to do that -- people with Drupal experience, in other words.
> If you can provide that assurance it will make the conversation more
> fruitful.

This seems to always be a sticking point when it comes to community
driven maintenance of anything inside infrastructure. As somewhat an
outsider who has been watching various efforts to expand
infrastructure services (as well as one watching infrastructure
services dropping by the wayside for lack of community support) I have
to wonder if pegging anything intended to exist for the long-term to
volunteer community maintenance isn't just dooming it to failure at
the very beginning.

What would it take to convince Red Hat (or try to make the case at
least) that the Fedora Project really needs paid infrastructure
support to maintain something that would be as important as Drupal?
That wouldn't mean its daily care couldn't me handled by volunteers,
but we need someone on the paid staff capable of dealing with this
piece of infrastructure during gaps at the very least to make it
viable over time. This is the impression I have anyway, is it wrong?

John