FUDCon website

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 20:52:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 02:58:56PM -0400, Tom Callaway wrote:
> On 07/18/2011 02:51 PM, inode0 wrote:
> > if existing resources are
> > unwilling to reallocate around the inclusion of Drupal I'm not very
> > optimistic about it ever getting off the ground in a long-term
> > sustainable way.
>
> As the guy at Red Hat who asks for those resources, I can say that I did
> not have "ask for a warm body to be responsible for Drupal" on my
> wishlist at all. Partly because I didn't believe that we had a
> significant Drupal deployment, aside from Fedora Insight.

This is in fact the situation, so you weren't wrong.  This discussion
is about creating some other functions that people have seen are
possible using Drupal, but it's still a forward-looking discussion.
Right now we only have a couple people with part-time cycles to devote
to doing incremental progress on Insight (but would welcome additional
help of course).

> Now, it is always possible that the case could be made that if we had a
> full time person working on Drupal deployments in Fedora Infrastructure
> we'd have more Drupal deployments, but I'm not sure I can get an
> approved position on that logic. Its a bit weird, I admit, but it almost
> needs to be a place where the community says "We really want to do $FOO
> and $BAR, with $BAZ and $QUX as benefits, but we need someone to be
> responsible for it."
>
> Given our existing deployments, it would make more sense for me to ask
> for a TurboGears developer position, as opposed to Drupal.

Perhaps.  It might be interesting to see in what ways our maintenance
load differs for the in-house TG apps we develop, vs. leveraging
something created by other communities and doing maintenance work
only.  We do have apps developed in house that don't get the love they
need either -- only so many cycles to go around.