[Insight] Calendar idea

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Jun 2 12:12:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:19:59AM -0500, Jared K. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > So here are some starting questions regarding the calendar idea for
> > Insight, solicited on our Phase 2 project plan[2].  PLEASE ADD MORE!
>
> OK, you asked for it...
>
> >  * Add more here...
>
> This may be a big project to try to incorporate, but I would love to
> see if we can get more accountability to the Fedora development
> schedule.  We have a wonderful schedule now, but very little
> accountability to the schedule, and it's hard for the FPL to stay on
> top of every single item to make sure it has been accomplished.  My
> (big?) proposal is:
>
> * Fedora development
>    * Have the Fedora development schedule that the Fedora Program
> Manager (Robyn Bergeron) updates available as a calendar in Insight.
>    * For each task in the list, have at least one person responsible
> for the item.
>    * Allow the responsible party to mark that item as "not yet in
> progress", "in progress", "completed", or "not going to be done".
>    * Allow users to easily see overdue items that have not yet been completed.

I don't think it's reasonable for the FPL to stay on top of every
single item in the development schedule either.  Ideally, FESCo as the
technical leadership body would take the front seat role in
accountability for deliverables that are part of the distribution
creation.  The FPL's focus can then be on the "soft side" work that
requires more community leadership as opposed to technical leadership
-- things like marketing efforts, identifying and solving community
roadblocks or difficulties, and so on.

I like the idea of knowing who is responsible for any item on the
schedule.  However, we do want to be thoughtful about creating another
work item (tracking in this case) for volunteers who are already
stretched and giving generously of their time.  I belive tracking
status in a large distributed project like Fedora ultimately has to
come down to a leadership entity (person or group) rather than adding
another task to specific contributors.

Red Hat Summit/JBossWorld -- Register now!  http://.theredhatsummit.com