[Insight] Calendar idea

Hiemanshu Sharma fedora at theindiangeek.in
Wed Jun 8 03:34:48 UTC 2011

On 06/02/2011 05:42 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 08:19:59AM -0500, Jared K. Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 4:25 PM, Paul W. Frields<stickster at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> So here are some starting questions regarding the calendar idea for
>>> Insight, solicited on our Phase 2 project plan[2].  PLEASE ADD MORE!
>> OK, you asked for it...
>>
>>>   * Add more here...
>> This may be a big project to try to incorporate, but I would love to
>> see if we can get more accountability to the Fedora development
>> schedule.  We have a wonderful schedule now, but very little
>> accountability to the schedule, and it's hard for the FPL to stay on
>> top of every single item to make sure it has been accomplished.  My
>> (big?) proposal is:
>>
>> * Fedora development
>>     * Have the Fedora development schedule that the Fedora Program
>> Manager (Robyn Bergeron) updates available as a calendar in Insight.
>>     * For each task in the list, have at least one person responsible
>> for the item.
>>     * Allow the responsible party to mark that item as "not yet in
>> progress", "in progress", "completed", or "not going to be done".
>>     * Allow users to easily see overdue items that have not yet been completed.
> I don't think it's reasonable for the FPL to stay on top of every
> single item in the development schedule either.  Ideally, FESCo as the
> technical leadership body would take the front seat role in
> accountability for deliverables that are part of the distribution
> creation.  The FPL's focus can then be on the "soft side" work that
> requires more community leadership as opposed to technical leadership
> -- things like marketing efforts, identifying and solving community
> roadblocks or difficulties, and so on.
>
> I like the idea of knowing who is responsible for any item on the
> schedule.  However, we do want to be thoughtful about creating another
> work item (tracking in this case) for volunteers who are already
> stretched and giving generously of their time.  I belive tracking
> status in a large distributed project like Fedora ultimately has to
> come down to a leadership entity (person or group) rather than adding
> another task to specific contributors.

Sorry I missed most of this, I blame my exams and my screwed up filters.
Anyways I attended the meeting last night. Calendars for us will be a
small part of the my GSoC project. My main idea is to get a better
workflow for organizing FUDCons and other events. Calendar will be a
part of my project in the sense, I'll have a place to show the events
ordered by dates. So, yes I would love to help out with the Calendar
Idea and do some shiny new stuff.

-H