[Ambassadors] EVENT: Indiana Linux Fest, budget finalized

David Nalley david at gnsa.us
Fri Mar 4 21:36:10 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Pascal Calarco <pcalarco at nd.edu> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We haven't had a compelling affirmation for a Fedora Insight FAD on the list, proposed to take place at ILF in three weeks, so in the interest of time and allowing people to get reasonable airfare, I would like to suggest that we not have a Fedora Insight FAD at ILF, and that we go with the budget that we've articulated thus far.  In this past week's FAmNA meeting, Ben Williams also expressed interest in attending, and so I added airfare for him.
>
> Our itemized budget request is outlined at:
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraEvents/ILF_2011
>
> The total request, with some buffer, is $2200 for six Ambassadors to attend; some of us will also like take part in the DrupalCon which follows the main conference day, on Sunday, March 27.
>
> Could I ask FAmSCo to please consider this budget request and let us know ASAP?  Many thanks!
>
>  - pascal
> --

Hi Pascal:

Speaking only for myself, I see a few issues with the budget as proposed.
First - we don't reimburse mileage - see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Sponsoring_event_attendees#Cost_coverage
 the big issue there is receipts. Saying $randomcontributor drove 500
miles to attend $foocon is hard for Max and his minions to submit as a
verifiable expense.

Second - while I am not inherently opposed to flying people across the
country to attend an event, I think little is in the budget that shows
what the return on investment is to Fedora for doing so. Don't get me
wrong, Markdude and SouthernGentleman are excellent contributors, but
I am unsure what they bring to the table that the other 4 attendees
don't bring (and they represent ~50% of the money). If the only thing
we are doing there is manning a booth, it at least makes me want to
look a little closer.

Thanks for posting this.