[Insight] Yesterday meeting

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 18:40:32 UTC 2012

(rearranged the text since mingled top and bottom posting can get
difficult to read)

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 11:25:51AM +0100, Peter Borsa wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 11:55:45AM -0430, María Leandro wrote:
> >> Ok, this is a really rough mockup of what I told you guys at Blacksburg.
> >>

> >> Front end, easy and simple with links to change month/week/day view and
> >> categorize by event/meeting/schedule or region. Days with activities are
> >> highlight and those who has changes or something to take care of have a
> >> small bubble (or any mark)
> >>
> >> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7145/6771084841_b51f1a1b59_o.png
> >
> > So the site would put the mark on anything added since the user's last
> > visit?
> >
> >> Once someone check the date he want to access, right box (should be ajax)
> >> will display what's scheduled for that particular day. I though that
> >> separate them by activity could be a good idea, but also could be just a
> >> timeline. (even if this might create problems since we have activities done
> >> at the same time)
> >>
> >> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7171/6771084853_f3a1c238f9_o.png
> >
> > I like this display a lot, and the categorization.  I think that would
> > be easier to read than a timeline, because as a user, I'm interested
> > first in relevant events, then what time they are.
> >
> > I have zero experience with Ajax but hopefully someone here does. :-)
> >
> >> Once a user identify which event/meeting/schedule want to know about (in
> >> this case, meeting) click on the item and goes to a new page where the
> >> information is display. I add a small *go to webchat* button, since we can
> >> just add a link to freenode.webchat and forget about add a different
> >> component
> >>
> >> http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7021/6771084865_760b38bc5e_o.png
> >
> > I love the idea of leveraging the existing webchat on Freenode.  We do
> > this elsewhere such as in wiki links.  It simplifies things for the
> > user.  Since we expect the user is not necessarily an experienced
> > Fedora contributor, this will help them find the right people more
> > easily.
> >
> >> What do you guys think? Easy enough?
> >
> > I don't know about easy, but maybe Peter can make a better estimate?
> > :-)
> >
> Hi!
>
> Sorry folks, my last week, weekend was so busy and this week will be
> busy as well, because I have a lot of issues in my redmine list. ULX(I
> work for them) gave me some extra tasks.
>
> So, I mentioned it yesterday to tatica on IRC, I like her ideas, +1
> from me. I'm working on mediawiki module to fix its bugs.
> I think María's ideas are possible and solvable. I looked for some
> modules that can be interesting for us, for example there is a
> timeline sandbox project ;)
>
> I guess we need clarify our tasks, what is the first step in theming,
> programming, etc-etc, because there are some great examples, mockups.
> María, Paul, one of you can do this?

The way I see it, validating the design comes first, then establishing
the functionality, then theming.  To validate the design, we should
make sure that some of the people we invited to our Blacksburg
sessions -- whether they could be there or not -- get to see and
comment on these designs.

Maria, would it be possible to post these somewhere people can leave
comments?  IIRC the Design team has a way to do that.