Insight and Fedora Weekly News

Zachary Oglesby zach at oglesby.co
Fri Nov 30 23:14:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 18:04 -0500, Seth Vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2012, Zachary Oglesby wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 2012-11-30 at 17:07 -0500, Ruth Suehle wrote:
> >> Was just chatting with nirik on IRC about the feasibility of WordPress.
> >> He says it was not a joy to maintain last time we tried it. But if
> >> that's the preferred option, letting Wordpress.com host it and map to
> >> Insight costs a whopping $13/year, which I imagine we could find in the
> >> budget. It also massively simplifies user management, IMO, as a current
> >> editor of both WP and Drupal sites.
> >>
> >> Ruth
> >
> > $13 only gets you a domain. I would imagine that we would also want to
> > use our own theme, and remove the ads and that would cost another $60.
> >
> > You also have to take into account that it would not be able to
> > authenticate with FAS. So giving people permission to post would have to
> > be done by their wordpress user name, and would require someone to
> > verify they are the person who they say they are.
>

> Also for $73/year I think we could not pay for the time it will take for
> someone from fedora infra to maintain it and patch it.
>

> hell, if it keeps me from having to mess with it - I'll cough up $75/yr :)
>
> -sv

I am defiantly not trying to say we should not do this, but we need to
be sure that using hosted wordpress is not going to limit its
usefulness.

Along the lines of pricing it may be a smarter idea to just pay $99 a
year for the Pro Plan if we go this route and get all the extras.

	Custom Domains
	Custom Design
	Premium Themes
	VideoPress