disable desktop background in fedora 13 (LXDE)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 5 14:37:48 UTC 2010

Am Dienstag, den 05.10.2010, 08:03 -0500 schrieb Ranjan Maitra:
> Dear Christoph,
>
> Thanks very much for your e-mail and your suggestions! However, I have
> a problem:
>
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2010 01:37:49 -0500 Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> > Am Montag, den 04.10.2010, 21:24 -0500 schrieb Ranjan Maitra:
> > > Thanks, Christoph. I have now subscribed to the lxde fedora mailing
> > > list.
> >
> > Welcome Ranjan, that was quick. :)

> > > I have also added
> > >
> > > @oclock -geometry -0+0 -tr -fg red -bd red -jewel red
> > >
> > > to get the oclock autostarted there (and it works). However, I would
> > > like to add this clock on all my desktops as well as without the
> > > border. Do you know how I can do this using the autostarted feature?
> >
> > Look into .config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml. If the file does not exist, you
> > need to copy over /usr/share/lxde/openbox/rc.xml to that location.
> >
> > At the end of the file you will find the window matching rules. Add a
> > new one for xclock:
> >
> >   <application name="xclock" class="XClock">
> >     <decor>no</decor>
> >     <shade>no</shade>
> >     <position>
> >       <x>0</x>
> >       <y>0</y>
> >       <monitor>1</monitor>
> >     </position>
> >     <focus>no</focus>
> >     <desktop>all</desktop>
> >     <layer>normal</layer>
> >     <iconic>no</iconic>
> >     <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
> >     <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
> >   </application>
> >
> > <desktop>all</desktop> is the option you are looking for. You can also
> > leave out the options that you already pass to xclock at the command
> > line such as position.
>
> The application is called oclock so I replaced the xclock and the
> XClock in the above with that. (It did not work otherwise also.)
> However, this has no effect on the desktop and other effects that I
> wanted.

I don't know where you have oclock from, so I cannot look up the values
for you. Please run xclock, then run xprop in a terminal and click on
the xclock window. xprop will return info about the program in the
terminal. The values of WM_CLASS(STRING) match application name and
class in the openbox configuration. Example:

WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xclock", "XClock"

first argument is name, second is class, so it becomes

<application name="xclock" class="XClock">

> Could you please try and see if it works for you? I am very perplexed.

This is how I get xclock into the top right corner:

    <application name="xclock" class="XClock">
      <decor>no</decor>
      <shade>no</shade>
      <position>
        <x>-0</x>
        <y>0</y>
        <monitor>1</monitor>
      </position>
      <focus>no</focus>
      <desktop>all</desktop>
      <layer>below</layer>
      <iconic>no</iconic>
      <skip_pager>yes</skip_pager>
      <skip_taskbar>yes</skip_taskbar>
    </application>
  </applications>

as you see I have changed the position (-1) and the layer (below).

Kind regards,
Christoph