missing alerts from Osmo in upgrade to F15: LXDE spin

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Sat Jul 16 14:00:26 UTC 2011

Am Samstag, den 16.07.2011, 08:35 -0500 schrieb Ranjan Maitra:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> Thanks very much for looking into this!

Hi Ranjan,

you are welcome.

> $ rpm -q notification-daemon xfce4-notifyd
> notification-daemon-0.7.1-1.fc15.x86_64
> package xfce4-notifyd is not installed
>
> So, should the xfce4-notifyd be installed?

Nope, either one should suffice.

> $ ps -A | grep notif
>    21 ?        00:00:00 kacpi_notify
>    31 ?        00:00:00 fsnotify_mark
>
> >       * if you can send messages with
> >         $ notify-send "Test message"
>
> "nothing" (as far as I can tell) happens....

Yeah, because there is no notification daemon running. It used to be
started by dbus-activation automatically but obviously this is no longer
true. I vaguely seem to remember that it's not needed in gnome-shell,
but they definitely should have notified me of this change. :(

The easiest way to start the daemon again is to run

cp /usr/share/applications/notification-daemon.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart

as root. On the next login you should have notifications again - not
only of osmo but other programs as well.

Please let me know if this fixes your problem.

Regards,
Christoph