missing alerts from Osmo in upgrade to F15: LXDE spin

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Sat Jul 16 14:44:51 UTC 2011

Hi Christoph,

Thanks again!

> Yeah, because there is no notification daemon running. It used to be
> started by dbus-activation automatically but obviously this is no longer
> true. I vaguely seem to remember that it's not needed in gnome-shell,
> but they definitely should have notified me of this change. :(
>
> The easiest way to start the daemon again is to run
>
> cp /usr/share/applications/notification-daemon.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart
>
> as root. On the next login you should have notifications again - not
> only of osmo but other programs as well.
>
> Please let me know if this fixes your problem.

This did not seem to do anything. Here are the contents of
the /usr/share/applications/notification-daemon.desktop file, btw:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Notification Daemon
Comment=Display notifications
Exec=/usr/libexec/notification-daemon
Terminal=false
Type=Application
NoDisplay=true

I wonder, should that last one be false, not true? I will try it with
that.

Thanks again!
Ranjan