Network manager

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Tue Jan 1 23:01:18 UTC 2013

Am Dienstag, den 01.01.2013, 12:02 -0200 schrieb ufa:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 09:43:22PM +0100, Christoph Wickert wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 31.12.2012, 15:05 -0200 schrieb ufa:
> > > Hello,
> > > i cannot connect to wireless networks with the lxpanel applet.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I assume you are talking about the NetworkManager icon in lxpanel's
> > notification area, right?
>
> Yes, it is. But it seems that it does not interact with NM. It only
> shows what is happening with NM.

Then it's not nm-applet but the netstatus plugin of lxpanel.

> > > I can see the networks, but after choosing one of them, it asks for
> > > password and nothing happens.
> >
> > open lxterminal, become root with 'su -' and then run 'tail
> > -f /var/log/messages to find out what's going wrong.
> >
> > > Do I have to install something else? Or maybe it is a permission
> > > problem. Should I add my user to a specific group?
> >
> > Shouldn't be necessary. The only thing worth installing is gnome-keyring
> > for storing passwords and pam-gnome-keyring to unlock the default
> > keyring on log in. You are logging in through lxdm, correct?
>
> Yep I am using lxdm. But I cannot interact with NM without editing
> some files by hand (there is a file
> called /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-example, so with it I can
> use the 'example' wifi. If I want to use another wifi network, I have
> to create a ifcfg file with the wifi parameters)
>
> I thought that I could use the applet to do that, since it asks me for
> password if I choose a wiki network listed there. But if I do, nothing
> happens unless I create that file.

You can do this with NetworkManager. In fact, you should not (need to)
manually create and edit any ifcfg* files. Just install
NetworkManager-gnome and log in again.

For Fedora 18, the package you have to install is
network-manager-applet.

> Thank you fot the attention and happy new year :)

You are welcome! :)

Best Regards,
Christoph