Fedora on redhat.com

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Sat Jul 17 10:25:34 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 06:37, Jeremy Hogan wrote:

> > > So we're finally giving Fedora significant prominence on redhat.com.
> >
> > www.redhat.com ?
>
> Yep. Our site design is changing, and Fedora gets it's own upper level
> nav. That gives a mini-home page for fedora, that positions it and sends
> the user to fedora.redhat.com.

OK, thats nice to know - when do we see a change?

> > Shouldn't the links be kept at the fedora.redhat.com site? And the new
> > URL that points there should be used, rather than keeping a few links
> > sitting on www.redhat.com itself ?
>
> Maybe, except I have zero direct control over fedora.redhat.com, whereas
> a traffic request let's me update rh.com. Maybe instead of those sorts
> of sites, a widget box that deep links into FAQs, Downloads, and
> projects like the utility links in the upper right of fedora.redhat.com.

Shouldn't direct control be changing slowly? Isn't the process opening
up?

Widget box sounds good, definitely

> > > What should those sites be? These would be unofficially official (whilst
> > > still being officially unofficial), so they should be 4 or 5 sites we're
> > > the most comfortable pointing folks at.
> >
> > Fedora Legacy - www.fedoralegacy.org
> > Fedora Unofficial FAQ - www.fedorafaq.org *
> > FedoraNEWS.ORG - www.fedoranews.org
> > FedoraForums - www.fedoraforums.org
> >
> > * - should we start taking the effort to getting the Fedora Docs project
> > to organise the FAQ, i.e. we consolidate it to our main site at
> > fedora.redhat.com ?
>
> Yeah, whatever makes us most comfortable with pointing users there.

So, its just you/me/Jack here at the moment... But the above links are
what I'd personally recommend/vote for

Not to forget fedora.us, since that's really Extras, no? *grin*

> > Also, from a usability standpoint, a newbie might go, "what's a FAQ?".
> > So we should try "Frequently Asked Questions" as a link on the main site
> > (rather than unofficial FAQ)...
>
> Yeah, the links have space for text explaining them.

Sweet
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi