Feedback on Fedora Core 4 test 2 review

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Wed Apr 27 20:41:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 16:18 -0400, Erik Hemdal wrote:
> Beg to differ on this one Rahul.  My RH 8.0 boxed set is full of
> pretty
> pictures of the "New, Improved" Bluecurve desktop, with improvements
> on the
> desktop layout and usability.

Sure, there is some stuff for desktop, however the release itself was
not completely geared for desktop.  There was plenty in the release that
has no business on a desktop system.

> And anaconda has always (at least since v5.2) supported a "Personal
> Desktop"
> installation.

There is also server and custom and etc... These are all things that the
release has support for, but it is geared for none of these completely.

> While I am strongly pro-Red Hat, I'm another who felt a little bit
> abandoned
> when RH9.0 went end-of-life.  The Fedora community does well for
> support,
> but it is not a substitute for having someone who will receive your
> email
> and promises to deliver an answer.

This I always questioned.  At what time could you get Red Hat Technical
Support for a Red Hat Linux product?  (not Red Hat Professional or Red
Hat Enterprise, Red Hat Linux).

> > While its true that Red Hat wouldnt isnt
> > directly involved in retail distribution of Fedora,
> > independant vendors continue to do that extensively. Fedora
> > release cycle combined with the Fedora legacy project would
> > provide something thats pretty close yet
> > better  to previous releases of Red Hat Linux.
>
> This depends on your point of view.  A release every six months to a
> year is
> preferable to me than a new release every three months or so,
> especially
> when there's a very significant change.

And if you look at the release history of Fedora Core, it has been about
every 6 months.  The range is 4 to 8 months, and we just happen to land
on 6~ for the first four releases....

Was I helpful?  Let others know: