Quick question for wiki section.

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Aug 3 18:49:34 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 13:01 -0500, Patrick Barnes wrote:
>

>>Although there are no plans to start using ACLs for Marketing at this
>>time, the page can serve other purposes, including just tracking who is
>>contributing.  There may come a time when having ACLs is needed, and it
>>would be easier to already have a list ready if that day comes.
>>MoinMoin might eventually also have other features built around its
>>group tracking, and such a page could also help in that case.  The real
>>purpose in having the page now is simply for tracking contributors.  The
>>use of the *Group name simply allows for future implementation of group
>>features.
>>

>Well the list of names can easily be cut/copied to the Group age when
>needed, and every page would have to be touched anyway to add the ACL.
>It wouldn't be an easy transition no matter how you look at it.
>
>I'm more worried about using a reserved page structure for a
>non-accounted for usage.  Lets say that MoinMoin does do some added
>functionality to the Group pages that we're not expecting and messes w/
>what we have there.  Honestly I think it would be best to avoid using it
>for now.

I understand your concerns, but I do not share them.  The *Group page
structure is defined, but not reserved.  MoinMoin will not change
existing behavior of the *Group pages.  Having the page existing as a
measure for future ease does not risk brokenness.  As for ACL usage, the
only changes that would be necessary would be the addition of ACLs to
the *Group page to prevent tampering, and then the addition of ACLs to
pages that are to be restricted.  It would not be necessary to touch
every page.  If ever ACLs are used, it will likely only be applied to a
small subset of pages.  By having this page now, we allow the creation
of controlled pages within minutes, and without risk.  Your concerns are
certainly warranted, and the thought you have given to it is certainly
appreciated, but I have reviewed the issues and feel that this is the
best way to go.  If someone wants to overrule me on this, I welcome
their comments, but I really don't see this as a problem.  I just have a
habit of preparing for the future, and think this is how to do it.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

www.n-man.com