Someone's missing the point...

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Aug 10 18:34:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

> The only way to change that IMHO is to distribute a million of
> FC5  on media for free, that's basically all that's about Ubuntu.
> Other than that I don't see any strong reason for Ubuntu's sudden
> acceptance.  Yes, the debian base is a +, but it's not the first
> debian derivative either.

I completely agree.

> What we need is Fedora DVDs with Core and some Extra packages,
> in a shiny package.  The important question is who will pay for
> the costs.  We need Red Hat or somewhere else (GNOME Foundation?)
> support the production.  The distribution can be distributed on
> the developers and evangelists for free I guess.

I agree with this too -- except that a DVD covers only half of our target.
What we really need:

1. A Live CD;
2. A one-CD install;
3. A DVD.

We can spew out all the DVDs we want, but we're getting killed on the
one-CD install in most of the world.

My hope is that we make some headway in the Live CD project.  It will do
two things:

  a. Give us a Live CD (obviously);
  b. Give us great tools for selecting the right packages for the one-CD
     install.

Darko Ilic of the Live CD project should be putting code up soon.  I'm
hoping to pull a project together, soon, that focuses on this problem.

--g

                     ] [ dumb.  --mcluhan