Desktop Linux

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 18:52:57 UTC 2005

> Hi
>
> Aza dotzler presentation on requirements for Desktop Linux is a relevant
> article for what is appealing to the target audience
>
> http://piercedotzler.com/asa/linux%20%96%20in%20search%20of%20the%20desktop.pdf

Owch, painful to read presentation.  Guess my desktop isn't ready for
it.

This is the usual chicken-egg problem.  He is full of what desktop
developers should do.

There are a few good points in there, which are overshadowed by problems
not addressed.  For example, how does he propose getting all of these
preferences off a proprietary file system and out of proprietary
applications?  To live side-by-side, Windows needs to be installed on a
FAT file system, which is usually not the case in the NTFS world.

I appreciate that Linux desktop developers are trying to do better than
just to cater to Windows users.

People act like Windows is the be-all of computer experience.  People
get used to changes because they have to.  Linux desktop being
widespread will likely come about for the same reason Windows got
widespread -- businesses adopted it, users got used to it at work, and
they brought it home.

When that happens, I will be proud that we didn't produce a Windows
clone.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide