Desktop Linux

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 19:37:13 UTC 2005

> Hi
>

> > PS: I guess the title is wrong, , instead of "Linux not ready for the
> > desktop" it should be "GNOME not ready for the desktop" or "KDE not
> > ready for the desktop"
> >
> You are arguing semantics there.  Large majority of end users make no
> differentiation between GNOME/KDE UI and a "Linux UI"

Yes, but authors such as the one of the article discussed here need to
have some clue about that.

After all, arguing about the desktop with a kernel engineer is like
discussing dashboard layout details with the powerplant automotive
engineer.

It is worth noting because both GNOME and KDE have particular ideas
around usability.  They are not just pulling features from their rear
clefts.

- Karsten
                       Red Hat SELinux Guide