Wording of Legal Issues myth

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Sat Aug 20 22:26:43 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-08-21 at 00:19 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2005-08-20 at 23:42 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >

> >>Do you have wiki access, If so you can edit the wiki yourself. Link to
> >>http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ForbiddenItems which clarifies the status
> >>

> >Yep.  I can commit the change.  I just wanted to see if anyone thought
> >the revision crossed any legal boundaries before doing so.
> >
> >-Toshio
> >

> That page already explains everything in a legally safe now. Is there
> anything left to add there? . Just linking seems to be less ambiguous to me

It needs to explan that there are reasonably easy fixes to get full
multimedia.  The myth is that Fedora is not suitable in a desktop
environment because it cannot do multimedia.  The Facts are: 1) We don't
include them for legal reasons (this is already there, incl. the link to
ForbiddenItems).  2) We are sympathetic to the user's frustration and
have done what we can to help 3) There is a reasonably easy solution for
users who need this capability.  We don't yet address points 2 and 3.

If you point someone to this page in order to read the legal section
they currently get the impression that we won't ship for legal reasons
*so* Fedora will always be second rate in terms of multimedia.  I want
to expand on that so they leave feeling that Fedora won't ship legally
encumbered code *but* we've done our best to enable users to get the
multimedia experience they expect.

If their gripe is that they can't play mp3s, only giving an explanation
of why is telling them "Tough luck" which is a pretty unfriendly
response.  An telling why plus information that we've thought about the
problem and there are solutions is "We hate the situation too but we're
doing what we can to not get sued and provide you with the multimedia
capabilities you desire."

I think my addition makes this second point.  If no one thinks it's
problematic, I'll commit it.

-Toshio