Logo -- dog, tag (with element), but no hat?

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Wed Aug 24 02:33:40 UTC 2005

> The Fedora trademark guidelines you can provide above are different from
> the other Red Hat trade mark (which includes Shadow man)  guidelines
> http://www.redhat.com/en_us/USA/Home/Company/Company+Profile/Trademark+Information/

Exactly!  So what's the problem?

> Red Hat or Fedora Foundation or whoever is the enforcing entity can
> grant more freedom to the Fedora related trademarks to encourage the
> community to use them in more flexible ways

EXACTLY MY POINT!

The name "Fedora(TM)" itself is already a big-ass problem for Red Hat
Legal if that happens!  Because Shadow Man wears a Red Fedora!

Either Red Hat has to maintain control over the word "Fedora," or the
names gotta go.  IANAL, but that's the reality of the name.  If you'all
can't see that, then I don't know what to tell you.

I mean, at what point can't another vendor call their distro "Gangster"
and put on a Gangster Fedora hat in the illustration?  I mean, they
could quickly point to the fact that "Fedora(TM)" is used outside of the
control of Red Hat.

Thus, we have a legal problem for Red Hat.

An illustration is the _least_ of Red Hat's concern _unless_ they
maintain control over the usage of the word "Fedora(TM)" in a Linux
(possibly even an OS) context.  So in that case, they will be
maintaining control over anything related to "Fedora(TM)", including any
possible illustration.

Otherwise, Fedora Foundation, might as well change the name now.  @-P

--
Bryan J. Smith     b.j.smith at ieee.org     http://thebs413.blogspot.com