Who's the Fedora user?

Andrew Hudson webmanagement at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 18:03:30 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> HI
>

>> I'm going to suggest a moving to Fedora from Windows FAQ for absolute
>> newbies, but I'm going to do this on the docs-list.
>

> A more comprehensive guide with a list of equivalent applications, how
> to migrate data etc would be quite useful. Lets focus on that
>
> regards
> Rahul

Rahul,

A more comprehensive list opens up the fear factor for newbies - do I
really want to include things like MS Exchange replacements, SQL Server
replacements etc etc when all the end user wants to know is where did
Word go? If we were to provide a comprehensive list then it suddenly
becomes more daunting when the new user gets hold of it.

I agree in principle that a comprehensive list of Linux alternatives to
popular Windows based software is a good idea. I just think that a
sub-set of this could be created with the express purpose of giving
someone like Judy/Sue an easy to read introduction that briefly
describes each Linux alternative with enough information to get her
started and to get her looking for further information elsewhere.

Thanks,

Andrew