Mailing lists, redux

David Barzilay barzilay at redhat.com
Sat Dec 3 07:39:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 13:40 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> OK, so we need to come to a decision on how Fedora mailing lists will work
> as we grow, because we're starting to get requests from various folks to
> start them up.
>
> We've got the following options to consider:
>
> 1. Continuing to host mailing lists at Red Hat.  This is the easiest
> option, and considering that Red Hat sponsors lots of mailing lists, no
> big deal, really.  We've got a good infrastructure for getting them
> created relatively quickly.
>
> 2. Move mailing lists to fedoraproject.org.  Other than independence from
> redhat.com, what does this buy us?  What is this independence from
> redhat.com worth?  And is Seth even willing/able to maintain this?

I'd continue using @redhat.com, and slowly change to "official" local
domains as the needs arise.

Eg.: We already have fedora-users-br at redhat.com list for Brazilian
users. Hopefully, we'll soon have a registered Fedora NGO to facilitate
local operations. When this is done, we could possibly migrate lists to
a @projetofedora.org.br (Fedora Project in Brazilian Portuguese) domain.

Acting locally under internationally agreed guidelines...

Opinions?

Best,
--
David Barzilay