the name "fedora"

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jul 2 15:09:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 12:27 +0200, Thilo Pfennig wrote:

> I tend to like the idea to interpret the name "Fedora" primarily as a
> female name. I think it would be nice if Fedora distinguishes itself
> from other distros to be somehow pro equal rights. A Linux that is not
> made for men as primary focus. I think this is important. Anybody has
> seen the speech of Jeff Waugh (GNOME) at the GUADEC 2005 in Stuttgart?
> (Theora:
> http://stream.fluendo.com/archive/6uadec/Jeff_Waugh_-_Project_Topaz.ogg )
> He had some good points about righting software for girls... ;-) watch
> this video its nice. I think what counts for GNOME also kinds for any
> distribution.
>
> Also after the creation of DebianWomen there is also GnomeWomen:
> http://live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen .

In english, which is the language of the majority of the mailing lists
and communication about the distribution there is no such thing as
gender being applied to words. So how about we keep it that way.

Fedora is gender neutral. Neither made for men nor for women.

You can't make a distribution more accessible for everyone by "righting
software for girls". You make it more accessible to everyone by making
involvement and contribution easier for everyone, regardless of gender.

I agree that we should be about open involvement. If I hear of anyone
treating potential developers with disrespect due to their
gender/race/nationality/religion/sexual orientation/age/etc then I've
got a large mallet to smack them with.

And I'm betting everyone on this list agrees about that.

-sv