[Fwd: Re: Gtk+ 2.8 for GNOME 2.12]

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Wed Jul 20 06:39:36 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Hi
>

>> One possible soulution I see: target 2.14 for FC5 and promise an
>> official upgrade from 2.10 to 2.12 for FC4, making this way the users
>> to care about GNOME 2.12
>

> Upgrading to major releases such as this requires more testing outside
> of rawhide. I am not sure this is the right approach

Here is another possible approach: FC5 is scheduled for February, 9
months after FC4, with the test1 release scheduled for November.
How about a test0 release in September, just after GNOME 2.12 was
released and integrated into RAWHIDE? This could be beneficial if FC5 is
going to use GNOME 2.12 but useless if 2.14 will be the version used. (I
expect at this point this is not yet decided, but is important).

Anyway, with a GNOME release in September and a Fedora containing it 6
months after it, expect Fedora users to use alternate repositories to
get a current GNOME (like nrpms.net), thus providing no feed-back to
Fedora or to experiment with Ubuntu (again, no feed-back for Fedora).

--
nicu