Fedora review

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 19:49:12 UTC 2005

On 7/22/05, Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:
> I feel end users might be confused by the idea of installing and
> updating a package in order to have the latest information on where
> packages are.

Having a specially crafted rss feed that can help a tool to import the
repo key and then install the reponame-release package seemlessly for
a repo is reasonable.
Each post on to that rss feed would include 2 urls one for the repo
key and one for the release package as well as some simple information
describing the repo.  The gui-tool could parse the structured posts to
the rss feed and compile a list of additional repos from the user to
select. On selection the keys for the repos are imported and then the
signed packages which provide the configs are installed

You still run into the problem of how to advertise that feed. I don't
think you can get away with turning on support for a feed like that by
default.  And then there are the murky issues about how to notify the
users about the consequences of choosing to use repos which overlap
with Core and Extras.. before they choose to install configs for those
repos.

-jef