FUDCon3 in SF?

Jack Aboutboul jaboutboul at speakeasy.net
Thu Jun 9 21:56:59 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 09:16 -0400, Chris Ricker wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005, seth vidal wrote:
>
> > Just a heads up mid aug is really really bad for most people in
> > academia.
>
> Something else to consider as well: if the North America FUDCons just
> alternate between LWCEs, they're largely always going to draw the same
> crowd. If one's in conjunction with LWCE and the other in conjunction with
> something "different" -- something like LISA, or the main USENIX
> conference, or the Red Hat Summit, or the O'Reilly Open Source Convention
> (though that one might be bad, since it doesn't move locations from year
> to year), or ... -- you're likely to enable more people to make at least
> one of the FUDCons a year.

LinuxWorld doesn't change location either.  FUDCon II is in germany at
LinuxTag.  Anyway, I think we should define some timetable and not act
in haste to get as many of these going.  So far, personally, I like the
LWCE idea because they are in Boston and SF.  Boston is home to RH
Engineering, so that means alot of developer representation and SF is
the valley, where you get alot of highly knowledgeable people showing up
to shows.  Even amongst lay people, being in Silicon Valley means having
more exposure to Linux than other places in the country.

As far as international venues, I think the big shows, FOSDEM and
LinuxTag are good candidates.  Maybe we should scratch the FUDCon idea
for europe altogether and have something else, perhaps FUADEC.

JAck