Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

Mike MacCana mikem at cyber.com.au
Thu Jun 23 02:59:31 UTC 2005

> On 6/22/05, Mike MacCana <mikem at cyber.com.au> wrote:
> > > I think fedora has lots of users.
> >
> > Not when compared to say, MacOS, or Windows.
>
> I am absolutely okay with fedora having less users than MacOS and Windows,
> Nor do i think Fedora with its rate of change and leading edge focus
> is it a good fit for a vast majority of users of those other operating
> systems.

Neither do I, so I don't know why you said that.

I was talking about...

> > The Linux curious. Typically described Windows 'power users', for which
> > Fedora would be quite appropriate - easier than most other Linux
> > distros, but still requiring some technical skill.
>
> I think the linux curious have enough information to read on the main
> website. I don't think they need aggressive encouragement.

You think most Linux curious want:

a) an open source project that produces technologies which may be used
by RHEL and aren't supported by RHEL?
b) a Linux distribution that's good?

If it's a, then the main website is inadequate.

Mike