Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Jun 24 15:44:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 10:21:36AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > Then you'd rather avoid marketing.
> There might be a deep truth to that. I'm intimately aware that I might
> be a poor fit for this part of the project. If my ideas are contrary
> to the momentum and direction of activities, I'll gladly fade into the
> background in this part of the overall fedora project effort and let
> others play a strongly role.

Maybe. On the other hand, I sense a resistance to *marketing* Fedora at all
-- promote the technology and we have, be straighforward about what doesn't
really work, and don't particulary *worry* about *making* Fedora appeal to
anyone. I'm not sure that's the best approach, but I strongly feel that it's
a valid voice and shouldn't just fade into the background.

> Indeed.  My issues are more about the tone of the engagement than the
> effort to engage. I'm wary of a goal that is narrowly defined to be "Get
> people interested in Fedora" I would be much happier if the goal was "Get
> people interested in trying linux, including Fedora"

This is a whole different thing. :) How about "Get people interested in
trying Linux, *via* Fedora, because that's what we can do anything about?"

I don't think this and more targetted marketing are necessarily exclusive.