Attention / Interest / Desire / Action, getfedora.org, or why marketing 'the Fedora project' is a bad idea.

Chris Ricker kaboom at oobleck.net
Fri Jun 24 16:57:44 UTC 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On 6/24/05, Mike MacCana <mikem at cyber.com.au> wrote:
> > Er, why? Why does targeting (or 'pandering to') an audience mean you
> > will likely mislead them more or less than if you scatter your message
> > to the universe?
>
> Because I don't think fedora or any other distribution is the obvious
> choice for any particular group of people or individual person.

I disagree. There are obvious niches which specific distros suit quite
well (or don't fit at all, as the case may be). If you're wanting to work
with SELinux, you're going to have much more success with Fedora than with
SUSE Professional. If you want to recompile your system from scratch
fortnightly, you're going to be much happier with Gentoo than with Fedora.
And on, and on, and on.

I don't think marketing Fedora should be an
all-your-Linuxen-are-Fedora-or-die misinformation campaign, but I do think
there's a role for and a value to positive marketing of Fedora. I think
I've mentioned it before, but for one example think about the perception
of Fedora amongst J. Random Linux users at your local LUG (assuming you're
a LUGger). If they're like the users at any of the LUGs I keep in touch
with, about 80% of them will have major misconceptions about what Fedora
is or isn't, and that's something marketing can address. Marketing can be
about informing without being about misleading....

later,
chris