Logos: everybody wants one but nobody seems to have any constructive comments. (was Re: Cool Fedora schwag idea)

Jeremy Hogan jeremy.hogan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 18:58:17 UTC 2005

We should outline the rules as you say, and then have an open contest.
Maybe even a $$ prize. Conversely, Greg could work with RH's stellar
design team to deliver something within whatever guidelines we agree
on. The Shadowman cost what, $500?

In any case, as a stab at some rules/guidelines:

-no Red Hat derivatives (hard to get blessed, harder to differentiate for users)
-Fedora blue (needs a published Pantone, RGB and Hex)
-I like the goat, but I'm twisted, I'd vote against avatars/mascots in general
-very close to being a non-brand (e.g. the less elements there are in
it, the less usage guidelines we need)
-keep the name[tm] and logo[tm] seperate from the lookfeel[tm] (e.g.
don't make people have to hire a lawyer and designer just to legally
debrand or rebrand it for spin offs)
-should evoke the spirit of the product/project somehow (fast moving,
free, maverick, etc)

And/or whatever RH marketing and legal have to say on the matter.

All that said, I like where your FC, FL text based logos are heading.
Simple. Or if we like the goat, a more stylized goat. Or a stylized
Kudzu leaf, or a photo of Seth's birthmark which is shaped like
Greenland.

Or whatever, it's better in the abstract since it will have whatever
meaning we infuse it with, so it doesn't matter if it's as perfect as
the Nike swoop, b/c that *became* the perfect logo for them.

--jeremy