Fedora Logo: Modifications to the "f" and color

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 17:04:33 UTC 2005

On 11/9/05, Matt Munoz <mmunoz at capstrat.com> wrote:
> Here's the direct link:
> http://www.capstrat.com/development/fedora/fedoraLogo_21.jpg
>
> It's also at the end of the presentation under "modifications":
> http://www.capstrat.com/development/fedora
>
> We've revised the color and shapes so the "f" stands out more.

While I agree that the change in shape helps here, I am concerned that
the effect relies too heavily on color shading.  If the secondary
color palette of the infinity symbol is meant to be extensible for
subprojects, we run the risk of limiting the number of useful
secondary colors to those few which enhance the contrast.   It looks
to me that this modification drops the idea of the secondary color
completely, I'm not sure that's the best trade-off. I'd like to avoid
a situation where new subprojects have to nitpick between 72 different
shades of orange to find just the right one that has reasonable
contrast but still provide a way for subprojects to make a distinction
between themselves in the framework of the logo.  I'd also enjoy
seeing this in grey scale to see if the change in color continues to
aid in contrast.  I still feel that a sort of narrow outline/inline
which has been presented earlier would provide the most robust
solution without overly restricting the secondary color palette and as
an added bonus you might be able to recover a version of the logo that
has a distinct f even in 2-tone black and white  instead of grey
scale.

-jef