Slow actions? Time to move on!

David Barzilay barzilay at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 11:15:42 UTC 2005

Hello Everyone,

Every time I read a post from this list I ask myself "why do we keep
banging our heads against the wall?"

Truly, for how many months have we been discussing the logo???

I believe I am not the only person here feeling that this is a lovely
place to discuss ideas, but a "not very lovely" place to get things
done, am I?

The only answer I could find is "because we don't have cut-clear project
management guidelines", thus the decisions are not based on previously
agreed frames.

If you are with me keep reading, otherwise just press delete and add my
email address to your filters.

In some previous posts I suggested we have a more professional approach
towards our activities. What I meant by that is defining a few variables
before every project execution. In other words, carefully planning and
backing our moves, and understanding its consequences.

Say the project is NEW FC LOGO (just brainstorming, ok?):

PROJECT VISION: establish a new FC visual identity in accordance with
the Fedora Foundation goals and community aspirations

PROJECT OVERVIEW:
. discuss, vote, and agree upon FC new logo and visual identity

PROJECT GOALS:
. create a new FC logo
. create a new FC visual identity (logo variants)
. establish usage guidelines

PROJECT SCOPE:
. discuss main logo aspects
. produce layouts
. layouts voting by community
. layout final definition by advisory board
. create logo usage guidelines
. promote new FC logo and visual identity worldwide

PROJECT TIMELINE:
. define EXACT DATES for each of the steps outlined in the scope
(this way we have a base schedule for our activities, and avoid "going
backwards"

ACTION PLAN:
. break down each of the scope tasks into smaller and detailed
activities, and again: establish exact dates, considering possible
delays

COMMUNICATION TOOLS:
. outline all communications tools and their purposes within the project
scenario, so all members know how to interact in the project

PROJECT RESOURCES:
. outline all participants and their responsibilities for the project
completion
## COMMITMENT IS KEY!

. also include all other resources to be utilized

PROJECT COSTS:
. better talk to finance geek, not me...but I cannot imagine a
successful project without a defined budget

PROJECTS RISKS:
. nominate all, even the ones with lesser probability to occur, and
study their consequences
. counter actions, contention plans, etc

I didn't get these guidelines out of my mind. They are part of the PMI
(Project Management Institute) courses, world widely known and
recognized.

So, are we changing our approach or continue wondering about the new FC
logo for another semester?

Thanks for listening!

Best,
--