Selling systems with Fedora preloaded.

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Tue Nov 29 00:17:16 UTC 2005

Patrick Barnes wrote:

> As yet-another-workaround that is technically legal, you can offer all
> of your changes to Fedora as a separate service that can be conducted
> before dispatching the system.  Basically, you sell the person the
> computer, give them Fedora for free, and bundle a free service of the
> modifications to Fedora.  You would, of course, have to allow your
> customers to opt out of these changes, but it is a trivial way to work
> around the current guidelines.  You could produce a CD and
> instructions to go along with the systems that allow the users to
> replicate the changes on their own, but you cannot apply these changes
> to the Fedora CDs you provide.
>
> Note that this does not solve your legal concerns with regard to
> bundling third-party and patent-encumbered software.  Those are issues
> you must address separately.  Be sure to investigate the legal and
> liability ramifications in your locale of adding patent-encumbered
> software like MP3 and DVD support.  It may be illegal for you to
> bundle these things just like it is for Red Hat to do so.  I'm not
> familiar with Mexico's policies with regard to the United States'
> software and process patents.

That was exactly what I meant, just by taking advantage of the "Install
extra CDs" in Anaconda.

Down here it is pretty much the same as in the US. That's why I thought
of RealPlayer and DVD support to be left as a per user option... or not
inlcuded at all... Which might just be what we'll end up doing.